Recommended Exhibition in Japan for January 2023
NPO Aoyama Design Forum presents the recommended Art Gallery and Museum Exhibitions for February 2023. In addition to the calendar of events, we provide detailed information like outline of exhibited works. Up-to-date information on opening hours can be found on each museum’s websites. Please make sure to check it before you visit the exhibition.
21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa Mirai Moriyama Performance "osmosis"
At the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa, Mirai Moriyama's solo performance "osmosis" will take place in the exhibition hall as a companion program to the exhibition "Yves Klein's Imagination Beyond Time: Uncertainty and the Immaterial" (February 24-26, 6 performances in total). Through Moriyama's body, which develops a variety of expressions as a dancer, art performer and actor, Klein's concept of a new encounter between spirit and matter is revived. The music is by Marihiko Hara, a composer who collaborated with Moriyama on the opening ceremony of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The clear air of midwinter, the blue that draws you in. We will offer an unprecedented visual experience guided by Moriyama's body, which appears and appears as if playing with the museum space. Look forward to it.
- Composition / Direction / Performance : Mirai Moriyama
- Dates : 24. (Fri), 25th (Sat), 26th (Sun), 2023 (2 performances per day, 6 performances in total)
- Capacity : 30 people per performance (first come, first served, advance ticket sales required)
- Price : General 10,000 yen (tickets sold out), U25 (under 25) 5,000 yen
- Tickets go on sale Tuesday, January 24, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. (on the website of 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa)
Pola Museum of Art "From Bonnard to Tillmans and Contemporary Artists Interior Visions"
The Pola Museum of Art hosts the exhibition "From Bonnard to Tillmans and Contemporary Artists Interior Visions" from Saturday, January 28, 2023 to Sunday, July 2, 2023. Since the pandemic, our lifestyle has changed a lot. In a situation where freedom of movement was restricted, everyone spent a lot of time in a space called a "room" in one's own home, was accompanied by a sense of blockage due to isolation from the outside world. On the other hand, it can be said that the relationships with close people and the irreplaceable things woven in a closed room were indispensable not only to get through everyday life, but also to add color to a life that lacked variety. In this exhibition, you will enjoy artworks of some artists from the 19th century to the present who have a distinctive expression related to spaces, and re-examine the intimate memories and dreams that weave themselves into this small world. The diverse expressions of these unique artists create a new image in our minds, quietly transformed by the experience of living at home. Please take advantage of this opportunity.
- Period : January 28 to July 2, 2023
- Closed : Open daily during the exhibition period *The exhibition may be temporarily closed in case of inclement weather
- Venue : Pola Art Museum exhibition rooms 1 and 3
- Artists : Berthe Morisot, Wilhelm Hammershoi, Pierre Bonnard, Edouard Vuillard, Henri Matisse, Yayoi Kusama, Wolfgang Tillmans, Akiko Takada, Masako Takada, Midori Sato + Yuichiro Moriyama
Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Modern Art Hayama Special Exhibition "Yokoo Tatsuhiko: Beyond the Realm of Meditation"
The Museum of Modern Art Hayama holds the special exhibition "Yokoo Tatsuhiko: Beyond the Realm of Meditation" from Saturday, February 4, 2023, to Sunday, April 9, 2023. Tatsuhiko Yokoo (1928-2015) is a painter who traveled between Japan and Europe. He had a solo exhibition in Switzerland in 1965 and has since been known at home and abroad for his fantasy paintings inspired by the Bible and myths. After settling in Germany in 1980, under the influence of Rudolf Steiner and Zen thought, he incorporated meditation into his work and transformed his painting style into abstract, calligraphy-like images. In the first retrospective exhibition in a Japanese art museum, Yokoo's paintings will be shown by presenting some 90 works created mainly in his home studio.
- Period : February 4 to April 9, 2023
- Venue : Hayama, The Museum of Modern Art, Kamakura (exhibition rooms 1, 2, 3a, 4)
- Time : 9:30 - 17:00 (admission until 16:30)
- Closed : Mondays
- Admission price : 1,200 yen for adults, 1,050 yen for students under 20, 600 yen for people over 65, 100 yen for high school students
Yebisu International Festival of Art and Alternative Visions 2023
The Yebisu International Festival for Art and Alternative Visions has been held once a year in Ebisu since its first event in 2009, with exhibitions, screenings, live performances, talks and other events. At the 2023 Yebisu International Festival for Art and Alternative Visions, you will explore the practice of a variety of video expressions and examine the possibility of a dialog between art and technology through the theme "Technology?"
- Period : February 3 to February 19, 2023
- Closed : Mondays
- Time : 10:00-20:00
*(February 3 to February 19 / until 18:00 on February 19)
*Admission until 30 minutes before closing
*Only the commission project (exhibition room 3F) is open until March 26 (Sun).
- Time : 10:00-18:00 (21 February to 26 March / until 20:00 on Thursdays and Fridays)
- Venue : Tokyo Photographic Art Museum / Yebisu Garden Place Center Square / Regional cooperation sites, etc.
Art Gallery Cafe WHAT CAFE "WHAT CAFE EXHIBITION vol.24"
The Art Gallery Cafe "WHAT CAFE" operated by Warehouse TERRADA hosts "WHAT CAFE EXHIBITION vol.24" from February 15 (Wednesday) to February 26 (Sunday) 2023. WHAT CAFE bohemian's Guild by Natsume-Books, GALLERY HAYASHI + ART BRIDGE, and TAKU SOMETANI GALLER jointly present 22 artists working on challenging works.
- Period : February 15 to February 26, 2023
- Venue : WHAT CAFE
- Time : 11:00-18:00 free admission
Kadokawa Musashino Museum ”TAGUKORE: Dunno A Thing About Art (But I Like It)"
Kadokawa Musashino Museum 1F Grand Gallery in Tokorozawa Sakura Town hosts the Taguchi Art Collection exhibition "TAGUKORE: Dunno A Thing About Art (But I Like It)"from Saturday, February 4, 2023 to Sunday, May 7, 2023. How did Showa businessman Hiroshi Taguchi, who had no connection to contemporary art, come to be attracted to contemporary art? In this exhibition, you can trace the surprises and discoveries he experienced through his encounter with art through the works of the "Taguchi Art Collection" and the "Misumi Collection."
- Period : February 4 to May 7, 2023
- Venue : Kadokawa Musashino Museum 1F Grand Gallery
- Time : Sun-Thu 10:00-18:00 / Fri-Sat 10:00-21:00
- Closed : 1st, 3rd, 5th Tuesday
Art event "EASTEAST_TOKYO 2023"
A new art event "EASTEAST_TOKYO 2023" sponsored by EASTEAST_ will be held from February 17 (Friday) to 19 (Sunday), 2023 at the Science Museum in Kitanomaru Park, Chiyoda Ward. . At the same time, 25 art galleries were announced to participate in this event, which will feature artists and art galleries from Tokyo and Japan. The exhibition, in which about 25 galleries from Tokyo will participate, will be held at the Science Museum in Kitanomaru Park, located near the National Museum of Modern Art in Tokyo. In addition to art exhibitions and sales by the exhibiting galleries, there will also be introductions to art projects, video and sound recordings, live performances and discussions, sightseeing tours, and food and drinks.
- Period： Feb. 17 to 19, 2023
- Venue：Science Museum
- Time：17. February (Fri) 14:00-19:00 / 18 (Sat) 12:00-19:00 / 19 (Sun) 12:00-17:00
Espace Louis Vuitton presents a photography exhibition by Tillmans in Tokyo / Giacometti exhibition in Osaka
Espace Louis Vuitton will present the exhibition Moments of life by German artist Wolfgang Tillmans in Tokyo from February 2 to June 11, 2023. On display will be selected works from the collection of works the Fondation has received since 2007. In addition, the Espace Louis Vuitton Osaka will host the postponed exhibition of the artist Alberto Giacometti from February 23 to June 25, 2023.
Wolfgang Tillmans "Moments of Life" Exhibition
- Venue : Louis Vuitton Omotesando Building 7F
- Period : February 2 to June 11, 2023
- Time : 11:00-19:00
- Advance Reservations : Click here (reservations will be accepted starting Thu, January 26)
Exhibition "Alberto Giacometti"
- Venue : Louis Vuitton Maison Osaka Midosuji 5F
- Period : February 23 to June 25, 2023
- Time : 12:00-20:00
- Advance reservation : click here (reservations will be accepted fromThu February 16）