ASA Experimental Design Competition 2023 This year's competition theme is "Not Only Human"
This year's the Association of Siamese Architects (ASA) Experimental Design Competition 2023's theme is "Not Only Human", based on the idea of how architecture can accommodate complex environmental conditions that include not only humans but also all living creatures. ADF (NPO Aoyama Design Forum) is supporting the competition in partnership with ASA. This year's participation application is open to residents of Thailand as well as people from all over the world, and the deadline for applications is 1 April 2023, 23:59:59 (local time in Thailand, UTC+07:00).
This experimental one-stage architecture idea competition invites all architects and other disciplines, both professional and students to submit compelling proposals without the constraint of scale, typology, program or site. Participants are encouraged to be as creative as possible. Proposals are open to diverse narratives that encourage rethinking of ways in which we can co-exist with other species, elements, things and beings.
Architecture defines human’s relationship with the environment. Early dwellings sheltered human from dangers and discomforts and provided a place for tools, livestock, and even intangible entities such as spirits. Putting human’s needs as the center of architecture is natural. However, amidst the ongoing environmental crisis, we are inevitably urged to reexamine the way we live and build. How can we include other lives in the total ecosystem into the manmade environment? ASA Experimental Design Competition invites all participants to investigate how architecture can embrace the complexities of environmental conditions that includes all livings, not only human.
By submitting a proposal for the competition, each team member agrees and accepts the requirements, rules and conditions as listed in this competition brief, as well as final decision of the jury.
- The entry must be an original work, created by the participant (s), which have never been previously published, released or distributed in any form elsewhere; and must never entered into any other competition.
- Participants are allowed to submit more than 1 proposal.
- Full ownership and copy rights of all submissions in connection to this competition are retained by the author of the work; however, ASA retains the right to publish (Print or online) and promote the submitted material at their own discretion regarding format. All submissions will subsequently become part of the ASA digital or printed archive.
- If any participant wishes to publish, exhibit or promote their competition submission, they are granted the right to do so, as long as the title of this ASA competition are properly referenced and credited as the competition organizer.
- The participants must not publish, release or distribute any submitted work to the public before the announcement of the competition results.
- Entries that have been selected will be exhibited at the ASA 2023Expo.
- General Public
- Students (Any current full-time student studying in high school until undergraduate levels)
Entries can be submitted as an individual or as a team. A team consisting of a student and a non-student should be submitted under the General Public category. Each team can be composed of up to 4 members and may include multidisciplinary members (Architect, landscape architect, urban designer, interior architect, product designer, artist)
- Submission fee : Registration is free
Fill in the following information by specifying the "Registration code" through the Google Form.
- The participant's full name(s), address, telephone number, and email address.
- A certified copy of participant(s) identification card or passport
- In the case of submission in the student and undergraduate category, please verify by attaching a certified copy of student card(s).
- Only one (1) -A1 sized panel (84.1 cm × 59.4 cm), Landscape / Horizontal layout
- The participant’s name must not appear anywhere on any part of the board
- All text should be written English
- Online submission using only file-transferring platform WeTransfer.com as a single file (20MB, 150 DPI)– PDF file only and send to email address: email@example.com
- "Registration code" will be determined by the participant(s) themselves which should contain three uppercase characters, 4 numeric digits and the competition category in English (e.g. ABC1234 General Public)
- "Registration code" must be located on the upper right corner of the board with 20 millimeters height.
- Savinee Buranasilapin / thingsmatter
- Rachaporn Choochuey / all(zone)
- Tiantian Xu / DnA_Design and Architecture
Jury members will simultaneously review, discuss and select proposals during this one-stage competition. They will base their decision on their expertise and values with the evaluation criteria as follows.
- Originality and level of experimentation of design proposal
- Responsiveness of the proposal to the competition’s objectives
- Presentation quality shall not be a part of the evaluation criteria
- Submission Deadline : 1st April 2023
- Award Announcement : 25th April 2023
- Award ceremony : 30th April 2023
- 1st Prize：100,000 Baht
- 2nd Prize：50,000 Baht
- 3rd Prize：30,000 Baht
Student and undergraduate
- 1st Prize：50,000 Baht
- 2nd Prize：30,000 Baht
- 3rd Prize：20,000 Baht
The Committee on ASA Experimental Design Competition 2023
|248 / 1 Soi 17, Rama IX Road, Bangkapi, Huay Kwang, Bangkok 10310
|Tel / Ext
|0-2319-6555 / 203,205